SAINT PAUL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Position: Administrative Assistant
Status: 25 Hours, $20,800
The Role of The Administrative Assistant
Saint Paul United Methodist Church is a growing and thriving church with multiple staff, volunteers, and regular services and events. As such, the church office plays an important role in tracking, organizing, and communicating. The Administrative Assistant will be the primary touchstone and executor of the tasks required in order to efficiently manage this complex organization.
· This position reports to the Senior Pastor and is accountable to the SPRC.
· This position relates to the other ministry staff, volunteer leaders, membership, and guests of Saint Paul in a manner reflecting the witness of the Gospel and an example of Christian hospitality.
· This position participates in weekly and monthly staff meetings as requested.
Goals and Expectations
· Possess or acquire skills and experience to provide quality servant leadership to new and current programs, committees, people, and students.
· Work in coordination with the clergy and staff to fulfill the goals of the church.
· Maintain all confidences in trust with clergy, program staff, and lay leadership of the church.
· Continually improve the quality of our administration through training and use of communication, organizational and church programs and resources that increase efficiency.
· Develop and maintain a leadership base of committed volunteers who love the church and who can serve the church in administrative contexts.
Primary Responsibilities and Tasks
· Answer the telephone, greet visitors, respond to inquiries and direct accordingly as well as train volunteers in this capacity.
· Prepare the weekly Prayer List and distribute it by email.
· Enter and maintain the database for all members, including entry of weekly attendance records into the church electronic database and the weekly worship statistics provided to the pastor by noon on Mondays.
· Enter the worship, giving, and other information into Vital Signs by the conclusion of the workday on Wednesday each week..
· Inventory and purchase postage, office supplies, church supplies, choir music, literature, etc. as needed.
· Enter and maintain paper and electronic filing systems for accurate church records, correspondence and other materials including but not limited to church insurance, warranties, leadership lists as well as visitor names and addresses.
· Prepare and disperse all print and electronic publications including, but not limited to weekly and special worship bulletins, inserts, monthly newsletters, brochures, stewardship materials and mailings.
· Email the week’s announcements to the appropriate volunteer by close of business on Wednesday.
· Maintain the church calendar with the congregation and staff.
· Send Memorial acknowledgments to both the family of the person memorialized and to the donor within a week of receiving the memorial.
· Send reminders for committee meetings by email and phone.
· Work with the pastor and committees to complete the annual Charge Conference and Year-end Reports.
· Take messages, sort the mail, call repairmen as needed, and other miscellaneous clerical jobs.
· Create PowerPoint slides for Sunday worship and announcements.
· Maintain the weekly Altar Flower Calendar.
· All other duties as requested by supervisor.
· High school graduate or equivalent degree; college preferred
· Possesses good organizational skills with the ability to plan and coordinate multiple tasks and projects.
· Possesses excellent communication skills through all media (oral, written, digital, etc.).
· Proficiency in computer use of spreadsheets, word processing, database management, email communications, electronic calendar and other applications as needed, to include all Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Publisher). Willingness to become proficient in Mailchimp, Church Community Builder and other programs used by SPUMC.
· Proficiency in all standard office protocols and equipment (phone, filing, copiers, etc.).
· Ability to work without supervision or guidance and to exercise independent judgment